- S-89.3540 Audio Signal Processing (every spring since 2001 except 2009)
- S-89.3580 Audio Signal Processing Seminar and S-89.4820 Postgraduate Course in Audio Signal Processing (fall, periods I-II)
- In fall 2013, the topic of my seminar was Digital Filters.
- Previous ASP seminar topics: DAFX - Digital audio effects (2012), mobile audio programming (organized by Dr. Cumhur Erkut in 2011), virtual analog audio processing (2010), digital filters in audio processing (2009), sonic interaction design (organized by Dr. Cumhur Erkut in 2008), signal processing for sound synthesis (2007), sound analysis (2006), mobile audio (2005), model-based sound synthesis (2004), audio restoration (2003), sound synthesis (2002).
Sound and Voice Technology/Ääniteknologian perusteet (fall 2010, period I)
- In fall 2013, I gave the lectures on digital processing and recording of audio signals (in Finnish).
- S-89.3470 Noise Control, a lecture on active noise control, in Finnish (since 2006)
- Digital audio, Tampere Univ. of Tech. Pori Unit (Pori, Finland, Fall 2001-2006)
- Sound processing, Master's Programme in Music, Mind, and Technology at the University of Jyväskylä, lectures on musical signal processing (Jyväskylä, Finland, Jan. 2006, Feb. 2008, Jan. 2010)
- International Advanced Course on Musical Acoustics, lectures on sound synthesis (Bologna, Italy, July 2005)
Supervised Doctoral Dissertations
- Rafael de Paiva, defense date: Friday, Nov. 11, 2013 (hall TUAS 2), topic: Virtual analog modeling
- Julian Parker, Oct. 25, 2013, topic: Spring reverb emulation and allpass filters
- Jari Kleimola, Feb. 2013, topic: Abstract sound synthesis
- Antti Jylhä, Apr. 2012, topic: Sonic interaction design
- Heidi-Maria Lehtonen, Dec. 2010, topic: Sound of the piano
- Gaëtan Lorho, June 2010, topic: Quality evaluation of headphone sound (Main supervisor: Prof. Matti Karjalainen)
- Jyri Pakarinen, Mar. 2008, topic: Guitar synthesis
- Jukka Rauhala, Dec. 2007, topic: Piano synthesis
- Antti Kelloniemi, Nov. 2006, topic: Digital waveguide mesh (Co-supervised with Prof. Lauri Savioja)
- Henri Penttinen, Oct. 2006, topic: String instrument acoustics and signal processing
- Paulo A. A. Esquef, Apr. 2004, topic: Audio restoration
- Cumhur Erkut, Nov. 2002, topic: String instrument synthesis
- Special issue on musical applications of real-time signal processing in EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal (2011).
- Special issue on
virtual analog audio effects and musical instruments in
IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (May 2010 issue).
- DAFx-08: the 11th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects (September 1-4, 2008, Espoo, Finland)
- Special issue on signal processing for sound synthesis
in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (March 2007).
Guest editors: V. Välimäki, R. Rabenstein, D. Rocchesso, X. Serra, and J.O. Smith.
- Special issue on model-based sound synthesis in EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing (July 2004).
Guest editors: V. Välimäki, A. Sarti, M. Karjalainen, R. Rabenstein, and L. Savioja.
- ESUS - Extended Subtractive Synthesis of Audio Signals, Marie-Curie Action, 2012-2014
- SAME, Sound and Music for Everyone Everyday Everywhere Every Way,
European FP7 STREP Project
- Perceptually Optimized Sound Synthesis (POpSS), Academy of Finland project no. 122815, Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2011
- COST Action IC0601: Sonic Interaction Design (SID), March 2007 - June 2011
Psychoacoustics of Rock Drilling, a project funded partially by the Finnish Work Environment Fund, Jan.-Dec. 2008
- S2S^2 (Sound to Sense, Sense to Sound), a European FP6 FET-Open Coordination Action IST-2004-03773
- A portal for sound and music computing
- Audiosignaalinkäsittelyn englanti-suomisanasto (about 50% in Finnish)
- My doctoral dissertation on digital waveguide modeling of acoustic tubes
- Special session on Physical Models and Virtual Musical Instruments (Session MUS-05) at the International Congress on Acoustics ICA2007 (Madrid, Spain, Sept. 2-7, 2007)
- Special session on Model-Based Sound Synthesis (topic 13.14) at EUSIPCO 2005 (Antalya, Turkey, Sept. 5-8, 2005)
- ALMA (Algorithms for the Modelling of Acoustic Interactions), European project IST-2001-33059, 2001-2004
- ConGAS, COST Action on Gesture Controlled Audio Systems, COST-287, 2003-2007
In 2006 I made an initiative to start publishing MSc theses on-line at Helsinki University of Technology (TKK). This process is continued in the Aalto University.